Saturday, November 29, 2008

Three Years


Today marks three years since the death of my brother Stephen. As I sat thinking about it today I realized it feels as though it was just yesterday that he died but it also feels like its been an eternity. I often wish that I could see him, give him a big hug and talk to him about all of the things that have happened lately. I have missed his strong bear hugs, the ones which would almost knock the breath out of you. He endured such pain and hardship and yet he grew so strong in the spirit and his testimony was unwavering even till the day he passed away. As he was discharged for the last time from the hospital the nurses went in to say goodbye to him. With great emotion in his voice Stephen bore testimony to each of them and gave them a Book of Mormon telling them it was vital that they read it. He was a great example to all of us.
One of my last memories with him is when he was at home before he died. At this point he was very weak and it was extremely hard for him to speak. He wanted me to sing Christmas hymns to him, I sang "Oh Come All Ye Faithful". As I sang the chorus, "oh come let us adore him" he began with closed eyes to softly sing along. Together we finished out the verses. Afterward he reached out to hold my hand. We sat hand in hand as I curled up by his side, he struggled to lift his head and look at me as he whispered, "Laura, I love you. Never forget that. I love you so much. So much." His voice drifted off slowly as he feel asleep. With tears running down my face I held his head close and told him I would never forget, that I loved him too.
As much as I miss my brother I am grateful for the knowledge that he is free from cancer, that he is with those who love him and that he is still with us in spirit. I am so grateful for my parents who were sealed int the Temple so that as a family we can be together forever. I am grateful for a loving God who has given us a way to come home to Him and for the great blessings which he gives us daily. Even though I cant be with Stephen now, I cannot wait for the day when in heaven we will meet again.




7 comments:

Brent said...

Thanks for posting that Laura.

Ginger said...

Laura- That was a really beautiful tribute. Wishing prayers of comfort your way!

Carla said...

This is a beautiful tribute, Laura.

The Queen said...

Totally tearing up. I am terrified of ever losing one of my siblings or parents. I feel so lucky that our family has not ever had do deal with any thing like this.

There was a boy in our ward who died a couple of years ago from a very rare form of throat cancer. What you were saying about Stephen bearing his testimony and being so spiritual is right in keeping with what happened with Trevor. He was such a great example of the gospel, and inspired so many people. Those of our faith and those not.

I am so glad you have those happy memories of Stephen. How lucky we are to have the Atonement to rely on. How could we go on without the hope of seeing our loved ones again? Hugs Laura!

Aubrey said...

Thanks, I wish I had known him. Someday, I will. You shared something truly personal. Loves.

Neil and Ms.T said...

Well, what do I say about my "Boyfriend?" He made me shoot my first gun if you remember? I've never been the same since. But shooting the big glass medication bottle head on, was pure joy.
Before I left to come to Utah for my surgery, I stopped by and but down a cute pumpkin for him. I will also take something for Christmas when I return home on the 15th of December.
What can I say about my two Angels"Brittney" and "Stephen?" I LOVE THEM SO MUCH AND MY HEART HURTS FOR THEM EVERYDAY!!!!
One thing I know for sure. We have our own personal guardian angel's!
Hope you doing okay Laura?
Love You! Stephen is watching over you too!

GardenGirl said...

Hi Laura
We think often of Stephen as well. When I see Mike growing through the roof (he's 6'4" now) I often wonder how tall Stephen would be if he were still with us. My husband reminded me that today is Stephen's 17th birthday. Happy birthday!

Love you lots
Laura Gordon