Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What would you do?

We have had our neighbors come upstairs to complain about noise twice since they moved in seven days ago. They say that we walk like giants with heavy heel two movement. Actually it is just the wife who comes up to complain. I have tried to be quieter and to keep Ella quiet but there is only so much that we can do. Tonight they came while we were sitting down at dinner and said that it had just been really noisy. The only walking that we had done was when Charles went to get something out of the oven. I guess I feel that they may be overreacting a bit, but I also feel bad for being so annoying. Anyways, I am pretty sure that they have called the managers about it because I just checked my messages and they want to meet with me. The ironic thing is that we have always lived upstairs in our apartments and nobody has ever complained about us before. And if you know us you know that we have lived in A LOT of different places. So, do we all tiptoe or just carry on with life and tell them they need to get over it?

8 comments:

Brent said...

Trade apartments?

Elizabeth said...

Uhh... that's ridiculous. I would just be honest with management and tell them you're not doing anything out of the ordinary. It sounds like your management is cheap anyway since they took away your internet... I'm sure the apartments are not super sound proof.

The Queen said...

oh man, that is such a bummer. no idea what to do. hopefully the managers will see reason as no one has complained before. good luck!

Rachel and Jared said...

Dude, first of all, there is not much you can do to keep a toddler quiet. Plus you need to feel comfortable in your home, you can't live like you are walking on eggshells all of the time. Second of all, have these people ever lived in a bottom floor apartment before??? They just need to learn how to tune it out. Believe me, Jared and I lived in a basement to a family with 4 kids between the ages of 7 and 16. Despite listening to them practice their piano at 6 am, it didn't really bother me until their son got a drum set....lol but at that point we were a few weeks from moving out. Anyways, these neighbors just need to deal with it. I'm sure you are considerate neighbors. These people sound like they need to get over it. Buy them some ear plugs.

Jenny said...

John says tell them to get over it. I would probably cry and want to move because I'm a wimp and I hate stuff like this. I can't imagine that you guys are actually super loud. When you live below someone, there is going to be SOME noise. If it's during daylight hours especially, you just brush it off and get over it. Our downstairs neighbors one time had a child with night terrors. Now that was loud! Good luck!

Michelle said...

I would tell them to deal with it. Noise happens and they'll complain about the next tenants anyway because they're overreacting. Tell your apartment managers the truth that you're not walking loudly and that you have a toddler. And that nobody has ever complained about you before.

Unknown said...

yep, get over it. this happened to us in our 1st apt and they were the ones that ended up moving. i mean some people do walk heavy, but you should be able to hear that in your own apt, if it's quite. be honest with your managers and then go on living life. if they hate you for it, they can move. oh yeah. are the windows open? that makes a big difference too.

The Queen said...

Whatever happened with this?