Wednesday, February 3, 2010

To all you mothers who work full time,

I don't know how you do it.

Seriously.

This semester I have been going to school full time and it has been a little bit stressful.

Ok, maybe a lot. Don't get me wrong. Charles is a most excellent Super Dad. He cleans and feeds Ella, plays games and everything. He's the best! Mostly I am struggling with feelings of guilt. Whenever I come home Ella runs over to me and is pretty much my shadow until I leave again or she goes down for a nap. If I put on a sweater or my shoes she starts to cry because she thinks I am leaving. If I hand her to Charles even for a second she cries. When I shower or am in the bathroom with the door shut she bangs on the door calling for me. Seriously. I feel terrible about it.

So, to all of the mothers who have to work full time. I have a lot of sympathy for you. Because no matter how well your kids are being taken care of there always seems to be a guilty feeling that you should be with them more often.

Today I have done many things. I studied, did homework assignments, cleaned, worked out, went to the sewing lab and made dinner. Even though I got a lot done the only thing I really feel good about that made my day was spending about a half hour playing with Ella, rolling balls back and forth, hiding toys to find them, doing our hair.



Yep. I really love being a mom.

3 comments:

Carla said...

Ella looks really happy in that photo! It is hard to leave your babies...even harder when they leave you without a backward glance.

Lori said...

Sorry it is so hard Laura! I think you're doing an awesome job as a "working mother"! You make sure you spend time with Sweet Ella. BTW I love the curly hair! She's looking more like you as she gets older. I still see her daddy in her too :-) but from the nose up I'm seeing you.
Keep going a day at a time and when that seems too much an hour at a time and when that is too much....

The Queen said...

She's a cutie. You'll get through it and then wonder where it all went! And then you'll remember that the time went bye-bye somewhere in the haze. lol