Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Divine Institution of Marriage

If you have time I would read this article. Especially as Proposition 8 will soon be voted on I think that it is important to remember what a sacred and divine institution marriage really is. One thing that I always have trouble with is when my friends and acquaintances who support gay marriage say that I am not being tolerant. I think that they give a good definition of tolerance in the article.

"Those who favor homosexual marriage contend that “tolerance” demands that they be given the same right to marry as heterosexual couples. But this appeal for “tolerance” advocates a very different meaning and outcome than that word has meant throughout most of American history and a different meaning than is found in the gospel of Jesus Christ. The Savior taught a much higher concept, that of love. “Love thy neighbor,” He admonished. Jesus loved the sinner even while decrying the sin, as evidenced in the case of the woman taken in adultery: treating her kindly, but exhorting her to “sin no more.” Tolerance as a gospel principle means love and forgiveness of one another, not “tolerating” transgression."

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey thanks for posting this... I'm definitely going to send it to Trey!